Thank you to Otter Cares, XQ, SDGE and Subaru of America Foundation Inc. for supporting our Youth Council Program.
Connect with others. Share your passion. Tell your story!
Our Youth Council is a digital media focused college and career readiness program for San Diego teens in 8th-12th grade interested in more deeply exploring photography, film, video, design, and art. Youth Council is a supportive and tight-knit community with students of all abilities and experience - the only requirement is a passion to learn and try new skills!
Youth Council members gain access to...
- Film and Photography Workshops: Hands-on opportunities to gain technical skills in film and photography. Learn from pros in the field on how to best light, shoot, edit, and create the work you want!
- Photo Excursions: Shoot and explore through the lens and experience art at local studios, galleries, and museums.
- Open Lab Nights: Open access nights for members to work on projects and make use of our in-house digital media lab, professional photo and film equipment, and post-production software, including the Adobe Creative Suite.
- Gallery Showcases & Screenings: Participate in our annual Youth Council gallery show and OTL open submissions and get support in applying to local festivals and shows. Students have participated in: the Museum of Contemporary Art's 25 and Under Show, the Museum of Photographic Arts Youth Exhibition, the San Diego Latino Film Festival, and the Del Mar Fair Student Showcase.
- Service & Volunteer Opportunities: Give back to the community through photo-centric service projects, including Photos with a Purpose, an annual program providing free holiday portraits to students & families at one of our service sites. Build up your volunteer hours through service opportunities on-site at Outside the Lens and through our partner sites.
- Leadership Opportunities: Participate as delegates & journalists at WorldLink's annual Youth Town Meeting, get inspired at TEDxYouth San Diego, share your skill as a Peer-to-Peer Mentor, or take charge as YC Project Lead.
- Professional Mentorship: Quarterly opportunities connecting youth with our Advisory Board, a community of San Diego professionals working in journalism, photography, film, marketing, design, education, and creative business. Students receive guidance and support on their projects and gain direct connections to the field of their choice.
To join Youth Council, please visit our external site to fill out our interest form. Questions? Contact our Youth Council Coordinator, Jana McBeath at email@example.com.
You can also find our Youth Council group on Facebook!